You’re 20 today. Wow.
You’ve grown into such a stunning young man and I am so very, very proud of who you are.
I love you madly. Always.
Happy 10th Birthday to The Forge Web Creations!
Actually, I’ve been a free agent for a bit longer than that but my CC was officially registered a decade ago.
So, who woulda thunk, eh? A chickie with no formal training, no qualifications, no mentor and no investors decided to start her own web agency and actually made it work w00t!
I guess I’ve come rather a long way, although I very rarely stop to look back at that progression, I tend to focus on what’s happening right now and how I can improve going forward. But I know that I have certainly learnt a lot over the last 10 years …
In no particular order:
- Get everything in writing. Always.
- Very little goes according to plan – be prepared to adapt, especially in this fast-paced industry.
- Play to your strengths – focusing on your weaknesses is soul-sapping and counter-productive.
- Hire experts to fill any gaps in your knowledge base and/or skill set.
- Surround yourself with talented, motivated people and treat them like gold.
- Don’t keep all your eggs in one basket – diversify at the earliest opportunity.
- Undertake to work with clients on your own terms.
- Managing client expectations correctly, from the beginning, will save you a lot of unnecessary stress and trauma later on.
- Saying “no” is completely liberating.
- Don’t work for or with people that you clash with – the relationship will not survive.
- Look after your existing clients – it’s easier to up sell than cold sell.
- Word-of-mouth is the most effective marketing tool in your artillery.
- Admit when you’ve made a booboo and then fix it. It can lead to unexpected doors opening.
- Making tough decisions is part of the package. Deal with it.
- Never undertake spec work – you’ll set a dangerous precedent that will come back to haunt you.
- Most meetings are a total waste of time.
- Backup your data regularly.
- There will always be someone else cheaper, faster and better than you so position yourself to add unexpected value.
- Under promise and over deliver – exceed all expectations.
- Honesty and integrity will serve you well.
And guess what? The learning process never ends! In fact, the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. That’s incredibly humbling!
So … 10 years! That’s quite a milestone. Here’s to another 10 and many, many more 😀